Welcome to Smokey's Security Forums.
As a guest you only have limited access to the board and it's features, please consider registering to gain full access!
Registration is free and it only takes a few moments to complete.

Smokey's Security Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Chinese Keyboard Maker Caught Tracking Typed Keys on Customer’s Computers

Chinese mechanical keyboard manufacturer MantisTek has allegedly included keylogging capabilities in the software application offered to customers of its GK2 model.

Chinese Keyboard Maker Caught Tracking Typed Keys on Customer’s Computers

Malware Log Analysis & Removal Help * Ransomware Encryption & Decrytion Techniques * Official Jetico Inc. Support Forums

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterAuthorTopic: Rescue USB does not boot  (Read 96 times)

leonmolTopic starter

Re: Rescue USB does not boot
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »
Thank you Jetico for the prompt and efficient help. Technical support was very good and I sorted out the issue pretty fast.

The problem was caused by a new windows update (KB4023057 2.6.0.0). Win10 has a problem that it installs updates automatically and one cannot easily disable them. I did disable the Update service but MS regularly kicks it on. This was one of those instances.

The update caused one BCVE boot file conflict and then Win10 has a bug which does not allow restore procedure to run (error 0x80070091).

Anyways, I am all good now :)

Jetico

• Jetico Inc. Support Engineer
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »
Hello Leo,

Since boot-time password is asked and accepted and Windows starts to load, it seems that encryption structures are intact and healthy. Your Windows installation needs troubleshooting, for that you will need to remove encryption first.

There are multiple options for that:

1. Rescue USB. If EFI files are missing, enabling Legacy Support in your UEFI BIOS should be sufficient to move forward. However, since encryption structures are healthy, there is no need in rescue decryption process, which is designed to deal with damaged volumes and is working slower than regular decryption.

2. Connect the drive to another PC with BCVE installed and perform regular decryption with your password via BCVE UI.

3. Windows Live CD with BCVE plugin pre-installed. You could build one following these steps: http://www.jetico.com/web_help/bcve3/html/04_usage/02_rescue_procedures/04_bcve_plugin.htm and using it to boot the faulting PC and decrypt the drive with your password.

In terms of time, the easiest would probably be #2

Sincerely,
Jetico Technical Support team

leonmolTopic starter

Re: Re: Rescue USB does not boot
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »

Hi
Unfortunately, there is no EFI folder on the USB. Don´t know why.

When I boot the hard drive, I do get the BCVE prompt and I can enter my passphrase normally. It then goes into windows start up repair mode. Then it says "Unable to repair¨and prompts for windows recovery options.
I can choose Safe Mode and other boot options but none of them works as I enter the same cycle again :(

there is one thing I can do though is to launch DOS from the repair options

leonmolTopic starter

Re: Re: Rescue USB does not boot
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »
Rescue file is used to create Rescue USB, but it does not exist on the USB in its clear form.
Your list of files is correct, but also EFI folder should exist, that is necessary for UEFI computers.
Please contact us at support@jetico.com and describe what happens at boot time exactly - do you get the BCVE password prompt?
What happens next?
We will try to help you.

Hi
Unfortunately, there is no EFI folder on the USB. Don´t know why.

When I boot the hard drive, I do get the BCVE prompt and I can enter my passphrase normally. It then goes into windows start up repair mode. Then it says "Unable to repair¨and prompts for windows recovery options.
I can choose Safe Mode and other boot options but none of them works as I enter the same cycle again :(

Jetico

• Jetico Inc. Support Engineer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:43:05 AM »
Rescue file is used to create Rescue USB, but it does not exist on the USB in its clear form.
Your list of files is correct, but also EFI folder should exist, that is necessary for UEFI computers.
Please contact us at support@jetico.com and describe what happens at boot time exactly - do you get the BCVE password prompt?
What happens next?
We will try to help you.

leonmolTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »

syslinux.efg

Sorry, it is syslinux.exe

leonmolTopic starter

Rescue USB does not boot
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »
Hello to all
I got stuck in the startup loop. Win10 on a UEFI laptop. System/boot partition encrypted.
It worked fine for months and after new s/w install would not reboot.
It would be an easy job to rescue the drive with the rescue disk. However, when I went to take my USB, it would not boot. It has only these files:
ldlinux.sys
memdisk
rb_flop
syslinux.cfg
syslinux.efg
boot.txt
bootlog1.txt

there is no rsc file as supposed.
and UEFI does not recognize this USB as bootable even when I point it to USB boot.

Do I do something wrong?

Thank you
Leo

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included © 2006 - 2017 Smokey Services™ -- All rights reserved
Design board graphics, banners and images by Meg&Millie - Emma aka Tinker

This site does not store profiling-, tracking-, third-party and/or any other non-essential cookie(s) on client computers and is fully compliant with the EU ePrivacy Directive
Smokey's does not use any Web Analytics/Analysis Service, and also does not use any browser fingerprinting techniques

Smokey's also provides free fully qualified FRST (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool) Log / Malware Analysis & Removal Help and System Health Checks
rifle
rifle
rifle
rifle