Welcome to Smokey's Security Forums.
Guests only have limited access to the board and it's features, please consider registering to gain full access!
Registration is free and it only takes a few moments to complete.

Smokey's Security Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Adobe patches security flaws in Acrobat and Reader

Adobe has released a set of security updates for Adobe Acrobat and Reader for Windows and Mac, patching vulnerabilities that could allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

Adobe patches security flaws in Acrobat and Reader

Malware Log Analysis & Removal Help * Ransomware Encryption & Decrytion Techniques * Official Jetico Inc. Support Forums

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterAuthorTopic: How to secure file from prying eyes?  (Read 765 times)

Starbuck

• Site Owner
  • .: Leader Malware Analysis & Removal Team
  • -: Site Help Desk - Support Department
Re: How to secure file from prying eyes?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 07:53:24 AM »
Hi bugaboo

Would converting it to a word doc make any difference (though that defeats the purpose of making ANY file protected)?

Unfortunately not every file can be protected.
Notepad has been around since Windows 1.0 in 1985..... and was only designed as a very basic text editor for use with dos etc.
Word is a completely different thing and is designed to offer the security that you require.
This should explain everything.;

4 Ways to Password Protect a Microsoft Word Document

On side note... there are some third party versions of Notepad that would offer the security that you require, but as I've never used them I can't in all honesty recommend the best to use.

bugabooTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 12:20:25 AM »
It's a .txt file. Would converting it to a word doc make any difference (though that defeats the purpose of making ANY file protected)? I already tried making a password protected folder (link you provided) and the file could be opened through a shortcut. I use recent items and don't want to disable it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Starbuck

• Site Owner
  • .: Leader Malware Analysis & Removal Team
  • -: Site Help Desk - Support Department
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:11:26 PM »
Hi bugaboo and welcome to Smokeys.

I need to protect a txt file so only I can view and edit it

are you talking about an ordinary 'Notepad' file?
If so, Notepad doesn't offer any type of security..... it's just a standard text editor.

Have you tried to create a password protected folder and then store the txt file in that?

To do this without any additional software, is not straight forward as it requires a batch code... but it is possible.

It'll be easier to give you this link...... this will explain everything you need to do.

How to Create a Password Protected Folder without any Extra Software

Note:
remember this part when writing the batch code:
Change the PASSWORD_GOES_HERE text to the password you want to set.

all I have to do is click on the link in Windows recent items and the file opens right up!

You could always disable the Windows Recent Items feature...... then nothing would ever show:

Windows 7 & 8: How To Disable Recent Items In Jump Lists

Let me know how you get on.

bugabooTopic starter

How to secure file from prying eyes?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:54:57 AM »
I need to protect a txt file so only I can view and edit it. I've tried various means such as hiding the containing folder, password protecting and encrypting and each time all I have to do is click on the link in Windows recent items and the file opens right up! Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Running Win 8.1 pro. Suggestions?

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included © 2006 - 2017 Smokey Services™ -- All rights reserved
Design board graphics, banners and images by Meg&Millie - Emma aka Tinker

This site does not store profiling-, tracking-, third-party and/or any other non-essential cookie(s) on client computers and is fully compliant with the EU ePrivacy Directive
Smokey's does not use any Web Analytics/Analysis Service, and also does not use any browser fingerprinting techniques

Smokey's also provides free fully qualified FRST (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool) Log / Malware Analysis & Removal Help and System Health Checks
rifle
rifle
rifle
rifle