Welcome to Smokey's Security Forums.
Guests have only limited access to the board and it's features, please consider registering to gain full access!
Registration is free and it only takes a few moments to complete.

Smokey's Security Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Researcher Creates Tool to Unlock WannaCry-Infected Windows XP Files

A security researcher appears to have discovered a flaw in WannaCry that may provide Windows XP victims of the attack with a way to unlock their files.

Researcher Creates Tool to Unlock WannaCry-Infected Windows XP Files

Malware Log Analysis & Removal Help * OTL (OldTimer ListIt) Tutorials & Tools * Ransomware Encryption & Decrytion Techniques * Official Jetico Inc. Support Forums

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterAuthorTopic: partial .bca file created - not sure what to do  (Read 244 times)

Jetico

• Jetico Inc. Support Engineer
Re: partial .bca file created - not sure what to do
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
You will have "folder.bca" in both cases.
The difference is that in the first case (Encrypt with BCArchive)  you do not have the original folder "folder" anymore
and in the second case (add to folder.bca) the original folder is intact.

antinomicTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
Thank you!

Last question - right now I am left with an archive file called "filename.bca". Does that mean that I used the second method (add to folder.bca)?

Thanks again,

Antinomy

Jetico

• Jetico Inc. Support Engineer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:14:03 AM »
There are two BCArchive commands that may be used to create an archive for a particular folder. Both are available through right-click menu for the folder:  "Encrypt with BCArchive" and "Add to folder.bca".
If you run the first command, the original folder has been 'converted' to archive. I.e. when it is completed, you have BCA file with all the files inside and you do NOT have the original folder.
If you run the second command, the original folder still exists after creating the archive.

So, if you used the first command and if you now delete the partial .bca file, you will lose the files that were already 'converted'.
If you used the second command, you won't lose anything.
Please check the contents of the original folder.  If it does not contain all the files, extract them from the partial BCA archive and then try again.

antinomicTopic starter

partial .bca file created - not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 02:05:18 AM »
Hey all!

I'm a noob with a noob question. Please - be gentle.

I started to create a BC Archive for a particular folder, and the process was interrupted. I hit cancel and figured I can give it another try later.

When I restarted my PC, I noticed a .bca file for the folder had been created anyway. When I look through it, it appears that many (but not all) the files are in the .bca. I figured I could delete it and start again, but I thought I'd ask the forum if you all thought it was safe to do so.

Again - it appears that the files in the .bca file are a *subset* of what's in the original folder, but I don't have enough time to do a thorough file by file comparison.

So - delete the .bca and retry? Or is there something else I should do?

Thanks!

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included © 2006 - 2017 Smokey Services™ -- All rights reserved
Design board graphics, banners and images by Meg&Millie - Emma aka Tinker

This site does not store profiling-, tracking-, third-party and/or any other non-essential cookie(s) on client computers and is fully compliant with the EU ePrivacy Directive
Smokey's does not use any Web Analytics/Analysis Service, and also does not use any browser fingerprinting techniques

Smokey's also provides free fully qualified FRST (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool) Log / Malware Analysis & Removal Help and System Health Checks
rifle
rifle
rifle
rifle