Welcome to Smokey's Security Forums.
Guests only have limited access to the board and it's features, please consider registering to gain full access!
Registration is free and it only takes a few moments to complete.

Smokey's Security Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Back to school: Warning over phishing scam targeting students

Emails claiming to be from the Student Loan Company are trying to steal personal data and banking information from new and returning students

Back to school: Warning over phishing scam targeting students

Malware Log Analysis & Removal Help * Ransomware Encryption & Decrytion Techniques * Official Jetico Inc. Support Forums

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterAuthorTopic: Compaq Presario CQ60 running slow?  (Read 2447 times)

mikehendeTopic starter

Re: Re: Compaq Presario CQ60 running slow?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »
Some people are so impatient.

Amen brother! Most of the people who ask me for help are people who want to come sit here while I work on their system, these I flat out refuse and the small percentage who agrees to leave their units here usually will only wait for a couple of days so when I cannot totally clean the system very quickly they usually opt to reload. I wonder what people did before pc's came into every household?

Starbuck

• Site Owner
  • .: Leader Malware Analysis & Removal Team
  • -: Site Help Desk - Support Department
Re: Compaq Presario CQ60 running slow?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »
sorry the guy had me reload from the recovery yesterday

Some people are so impatient.

So is this right that Farbar is simply a "Diagnostic" tool and it's only purpose will be to give you info from the report it produces?

More or less.
It does a few things automatically when scanning and a lot of the newer infections will be made clearer in the report.
It does have the ability to run fix or search scripts just like Otl.

mikehendeTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
Hey Pete, so sorry the guy had me reload from the recovery yesterday and did not have time to update here before seeing your post but I would still like to know what to do next time I should run into a similar situation. Alright so if OTLPE won't work for whatever reason then I run Farbar, from what I8've read on this:

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, or FRST, is a portable application designed to run on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 in normal or safe mode to diagnose malware issues. It is also possible to run FRST in the Windows Recovery Environment in order to diagnose and fix boot issues.

So is this right that Farbar is simply a "Diagnostic" tool and it's only purpose will be to give you info from the report it produces?

Starbuck

• Site Owner
  • .: Leader Malware Analysis & Removal Team
  • -: Site Help Desk - Support Department
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:27:54 AM »
Hi Mike,

Try this in normal mode:

For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click the downloaded icon to run the tool.

• When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.

• Press Scan button.

• It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please copy and paste it to your reply also.

mikehendeTopic starter

Compaq Presario CQ60 running slow?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
Hey Pete, how's it going? I can use your help here please? Working on this Compaq Laptop running Win7 64 bit, laptop started working way too slow, i tried in this order Mbam which showed infections the first time, which it cleaned and then next scan did not show anything but laptop was still way too slow so I then tried, SAS, adwcleaner, JRT, none of these showed anything then Ccleaner, now the laptop works a lot better and faster but still slow, I ram memtest which showed no errors and unit has 2gb ram installed.

I tried running OTL but when I double-click on the icon, it asks to 'Choose Windows directory' but no matter which drive I choose from the list C or E [The Recovery drive], I get a prompt from the Runtime Scanner showing: Target is not Windows 2000 or later
Help?

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included © 2006 - 2017 Smokey Services™ -- All rights reserved
Design board graphics, banners and images by Meg&Millie - Emma aka Tinker

This site does not store profiling-, tracking-, third-party and/or any other non-essential cookie(s) on client computers and is fully compliant with the EU ePrivacy Directive
Smokey's does not use any Web Analytics/Analysis Service, and also does not use any browser fingerprinting techniques

Smokey's also provides free fully qualified FRST (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool) Log / Malware Analysis & Removal Help and System Health Checks
rifle
rifle
rifle
rifle