Welcome to Smokey's Security Forums.
Guests have only limited access to the board and it's features, please consider registering to gain full access!
Registration is free and it only takes a few moments to complete.

Smokey's Security Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

KB2918614 Update Causing Issues on Windows 8.1 Systems

The September 2014 Update Tuesday rollout is very close, but users are still having problems with patches released by the company last month.  KB2918614 appears to be one of the botched updates, as many reports published by users who installed it indicate some really unusual errors experienced when trying to install MSI files.

KB2918614 Update Causing Issues on Windows 8.1 Systems

Malware Log Analysis & Removal Help * OTL (OldTimer ListIt) Tutorials & Tools * Microsoft Security Info, Alerts & Download Centers * Official Jetico Inc. Support Forums

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterAuthorTopic: How do I run chkdsk on an encrypted disk?  (Read 4903 times)

Jetico

• Jetico Inc. Support Engineer
Re: How do I run chkdsk on an encrypted disk?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:44 AM »
If all windows are closed, Chkdsk /f should be run without any problem.
If Windows says "the volume used by another process", and you are sure that all windows are closed, please try disabling your antivirus software and any other disk monitoring utilities.

To run checking at boot time, you have to partially encrypt your system volume and then set "Mount at boot time" for the problem volume.

omicronTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »
- When you tried to run the checking and got the error message from Windows - was your encrypted volume mounted?

Yes.

-To run chkdsk of non-boot type, you should mount the encrypted volume previously.

It is mounted. The problem is when I want to use the /f parameter ("chkdsk /f") to fix any errors. I assume I need to answer "Y" to the following chkdsk question:

"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)".

When the system reboots, I assume the BestCheck software would not be running during the chkdsk since only encrypted boot volumes prompt for the password, and therefore chkdsk would fail, correct?

Jetico

• Jetico Inc. Support Engineer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 06:36:59 AM »
"Mount at boot time" option is active only if your boot volume has been encrypted as well.

When you tried to run the checking and got the error message from Windows - was your encrypted volume mounted?

To run chkdsk of boot type, you should encrypt your system/boot volume (at least several bytes).
To run chkdsk of non-boot type, you should mount the encrypted volume previously.

omicronTopic starter

How do I run chkdsk on an encrypted disk?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 10:40:41 PM »
I want to run a check disk on a encrypted volume. It is 1 TB drive, which will take a long time to run, so I’d like to run it while Windows is running. However, when I run chkdsk from the command line (on Windows Vista as admin), it says “The type of the file system is RAW. Cannot lock current drive. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.”

How do I run chkdsk on volumes of both non-boot and boot types?

If I must select the option "Mount at Boot time", I see it is grayed out. Why? How can I make them mount at boot time?

Thanks

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included © 2006 - 2014 Smokey Services™ -- All rights reserved
This site do not store non-essential cookies on client computers and is fully compliant with the EU ePrivacy Directive
Design board graphics, banners and images by Meg&Millie - Emma aka Tinker

Smokey's provide free fully qualified OTL (OldTimer ListIt) and FRST (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool) Log / Malware Analysis & Removal Help and System Health Checks
rifle
rifle
rifle
rifle