Welcome to Smokey's Security Forums.
Guests have only limited access to the board and it's features, please consider registering to gain full access!
Registration is free and it only takes a few moments to complete.

Smokey's Security Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Virgin Media Customers Targeted in Phishing Scam

Emails purporting to come from Virgin Media customer service department in relation to an alleged bill processing issue, seek to steal the credentials for accessing the service.
The messages are well-crafted, and in order to increase the rate of success, they include a variety of reasons that could have led to payment processing problems.

Virgin Media Customers Targeted in Phishing Scam

Malware Log Analysis & Removal Help * OTL (OldTimer ListIt) Tutorials & Tools * Microsoft Security Info, Alerts & Download Centers * Official Jetico Inc. Support Forums

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterAuthorTopic: Wiping slack space from all Linux files?  (Read 3900 times)

irlandes

Re: Wiping slack space from all Linux files?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:19:41 AM »
Hi, Dave.

You can try something like find <path_here> -type f -exec bcwipe -Smd {} \;
Remember, it will be lenghty operation if you have many files there.

Regards,
Nail

That 'something like' bothered me so I worked on it, and registered just to add this material, since it is relevant.

This works:   find / -type f -execdir bcwipe -S -mz -v '{}' \;

Substitute your path for / which takes a very long time
     -execdir has increased security over -exec.  -okdir allows you to approve each file slack wipe with y or Y This works for testing bcwipe
     -S is wipe slack option
     -mz is one-pass zeroes; see list. -me is 3-pass DoE. or whichever method you prefer
     -v is verbose mode
             See 'man find' and 'bcwipe' for the details.  -execdir takes output of find and executes the stated command on that file.

Nail

• Jetico Inc. Developer
Re: Wiping slack space from all Linux files?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
Hi, Dave.

You can try something like find <path_here> -type f -exec bcwipe -Smd {} \;
Remember, it will be lenghty operation if you have many files there.

Regards,
Nail

bulatekTopic starter

Wiping slack space from all Linux files?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »
How do you wipe slack space from all files in Linux?  There appears to be two issues here: one is that you can't wipe recursively into directories, and two, you can't wipe hidden files unless you explicitly state the filename or use the .* wildcard.  I am looking for an easy solution to wipe ALL files including those found recursively in subdirectories.

I have tried bcwipe -Smd / , but it comes back with the message "/ is a directory   - Skipping".  
I have also tried bcwipe -Smd * , which appears to wipe slack on all unhidden files in the current directory only.

Thanks,
Dave...

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included © 2006 - 2014 Smokey Services™ -- All rights reserved
This site do not store non-essential cookies on client computers and is fully compliant with the EU ePrivacy Directive
Design board graphics, banners and images by Meg&Millie - Emma aka Tinker

Smokey's provide free fully qualified OTL (OldTimer ListIt) and FRST (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool) Log / Malware Analysis & Removal Help and System Health Checks
rifle
rifle
rifle
rifle