Welcome to Smokey's Security Forums.
Guests have only limited access to the board and it's features, please consider registering to gain full access!
Registration is free and it only takes a few moments to complete.

Smokey's Security Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Android security: Google kills remote hacker bug, patches seven critical flaws

Google has fixed seven critical security vulnerabilities in its February Android update for Nexus devices.

Android security: Google kills remote hacker bug, patches seven critical flaws

Malware Log Analysis & Removal Help * OTL (OldTimer ListIt) Tutorials & Tools * Microsoft Security Info, Alerts & Download Centers * Official Jetico Inc. Support Forums

Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on TwitterAuthorTopic: Wiping slack space from all Linux files?  (Read 4544 times)

irlandes

Re: Wiping slack space from all Linux files?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:19:41 AM »
Hi, Dave.

You can try something like find <path_here> -type f -exec bcwipe -Smd {} \;
Remember, it will be lenghty operation if you have many files there.

Regards,
Nail

That 'something like' bothered me so I worked on it, and registered just to add this material, since it is relevant.

This works:   find / -type f -execdir bcwipe -S -mz -v '{}' \;

Substitute your path for / which takes a very long time
     -execdir has increased security over -exec.  -okdir allows you to approve each file slack wipe with y or Y This works for testing bcwipe
     -S is wipe slack option
     -mz is one-pass zeroes; see list. -me is 3-pass DoE. or whichever method you prefer
     -v is verbose mode
             See 'man find' and 'bcwipe' for the details.  -execdir takes output of find and executes the stated command on that file.

Nail

• Jetico Inc. Developer
Re: Wiping slack space from all Linux files?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
Hi, Dave.

You can try something like find <path_here> -type f -exec bcwipe -Smd {} \;
Remember, it will be lenghty operation if you have many files there.

Regards,
Nail

bulatekTopic starter

Wiping slack space from all Linux files?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »
How do you wipe slack space from all files in Linux?  There appears to be two issues here: one is that you can't wipe recursively into directories, and two, you can't wipe hidden files unless you explicitly state the filename or use the .* wildcard.  I am looking for an easy solution to wipe ALL files including those found recursively in subdirectories.

I have tried bcwipe -Smd / , but it comes back with the message "/ is a directory   - Skipping".  
I have also tried bcwipe -Smd * , which appears to wipe slack on all unhidden files in the current directory only.

Thanks,
Dave...

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.
BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled

Except where otherwise stated, all content, graphics, banners and images included © 2006 - 2016 Smokey Services™ -- All rights reserved
Design board graphics, banners and images by Meg&Millie - Emma aka Tinker

This site don't store profiling-, tracking-, third-party and/or any other non-essential cookie(s) on client computers and is fully compliant with the EU ePrivacy Directive
Smokey's don't use any Web Analytics/Analysis Service, and also don't use any browser fingerprinting techniques

Smokey's provide free fully qualified OTL (OldTimer ListIt) and FRST (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool) Log / Malware Analysis & Removal Help and System Health Checks
rifle
rifle
rifle
rifle